Understanding a food’s calorie content is crucial to maintain healthy eating habits. One question that often arises is, “How many calories does an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich have?”
For those counting calories or managing their weight, this information is vital. Others may simply be curious about the nutritional value of an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich. Knowing the caloric content of an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich can at least inform you while making dietary decisions. Regardless of your health and wellness goals, this article contains valuable insight into nutritional values. Let’s explore the nutritional value of an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich together!
*To track your activity online check out MyFoodDiary. It lists nutritional information for over 220,000 foods and beverages.
Nutritional values below are based on a standard serving size unless otherwise noted.
Total Calories in an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich
There are 570 calories in an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich. Broken down, an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich contains 20 grams of protein, 65 grams of carbohydrates, and 26 grams of fat.
What are Carbohydrates?
Food contains three main macronutrients: carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Carbs play a crucial role in providing energy to the body, particularly to the brain and muscles.
Carbohydrates fall into one of two main categories:
- Simply Carbohydrates: These are smaller, quick-digesting molecules that provide a rapid source of energy. Examples include glucose and sucrose. Fruits, milk, and processed foods with added sugars all contain simple carbohydrates.
- Complex Carbohydrates: Simple carbohydrates link together to form a larger molecule, complex carbohydrates. Complex carbs digest slower, providing a steady, more sustained release of energy. Foods such as whole grains, vegetables, and legumes contain complex carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates convert to glucose in the body, which is then used as energy. Any unused glucose is stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen for later use. For long-term storage, it gets converted to fat.
Carbohydrates are essential for proper bodily function. Yet, the type of carbs and quantity consumed can impact your health. Diets rich in whole, unprocessed carbohydrates are generally considered healthier. Look for foods that contain fiber such as whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. Diets high in processed or refined carbs may contribute to weight gain and other health problems. Eat foods like white bread, sugary drinks, and snacks, in moderation.
Carbohydrates can be a controversial topic in nutritional circles. Different diets promote various levels of carbohydrate intake.
For best results, balance your carbohydrate intake with other nutrients. A physician or Registered Dietician can make recommendations for your individual health goals.
How Many Carbs Does an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich Have?
Regarding energy content, an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich contains approximately 65 grams of carbs. In terms of calories, each gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories.
So for an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich:
65 grams of carbohydrates x 4 calories/gram = 260 calories from carbohydrates
What are Proteins?
Proteins are the second of three main macronutrients found in food. They are vital for biological functions and are often referred to as the “building blocks of the body”.
Here’s a closer look at proteins as they relate to food:
- Sources: Both animal and plant-based foods contain proteins. Animal sources like meat, fish, eggs, and dairy are “complete proteins”. Complete proteins contain all nine essential amino acids in adequate amounts. Foods lacking one or more essential amino acids can still be good sources of protein. This includes plant-based sources like beans, lentils, nuts, and certain grains.
- Functions: Proteins play several vital roles in the body. They reconstruct and repair tissue, make hormones and enzymes, and support immune function. Proteins are also a secondary source of energy.
- Digestion: During digestion, proteins break down into amino acids. Amino acids are then absorbed into the bloodstream and used to build and repair tissues. They also support cell structure and bind together into tissues.
- Calorie Content: Like carbohydrates, proteins contribute 4 calories per gram.
- Dietary Needs: Various factors such as age, sex, and activity level determine protein requirements. A balanced diet that includes a variety of protein sources works for most people.
- Health Considerations: We’ve discussed the need for adequate protein intake. But, excessive consumption is also linked to certain health risks. In particular, diets heavy on red and processed meats. Diets rich in plant-based proteins are the opposite. They correlate with various health benefits.
In summary, proteins are complex molecules that serve critical functions within the body. They are obtained through your diet and can be found in various foods from both animal and plant sources. Both can be good sources of dietary protein. Consider how each one aligns with your individual health and nutritional needs.
How Much Protein Does an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich Contain?
In an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich, there are approximately 20 grams of protein.
Energy content from protein in an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich:
20 grams of protein x 4 calories/gram = 80 calories from protein
Dietary Fats: More Than Just Calories
When it comes to nutrition, dietary fats often carry a misunderstood reputation. For many years, fats have been looked at in a negative light. Fatty foods are associated with weight gain, high cholesterol, and other health issues. But not all fats are created equal. Understanding the differences can be a key to a balanced and healthy diet.
Types of Fats
- Saturated Fats: Found mainly in animal products such as meat and dairy, saturated fats have been linked to higher cholesterol levels. Limiting saturated fat intake is generally recommended.
- Trans Fats: Often found in processed foods, most experts consider trans fats the unhealthiest type. They not only raise bad cholesterol levels but also lower good cholesterol. Many countries are working to reduce or eliminate trans fats from food products.
- Unsaturated Fats: These are generally considered “healthy fats”. They can be further divided into monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Sources include olive oil, avocados, nuts, and fish. These fats can improve cholesterol levels and offer other health benefits. Unsaturated fats support cell structure and brain health.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: A specific type of polyunsaturated fat. Omega-3s are essential for the body and are obtained only through your diet. They are well known for their benefits on heart health. Good sources of omega-3s are fatty fish, flax seeds, and walnuts.
What is the Fat Content in an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich?
Fats are the most concentrated source of energy in food, adding 9 calories per gram. Despite their reputation, fats are an essential part of any diet. Fat-soluble vitamins – A, D, E, and K, require fat for proper absorption. They also enhance the taste of food and keep you feeling full for longer.
In an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich, there are 26 grams of fat.
Energy content from fat in an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich:
26 grams of fat x 9 calories = 230 calories from fats
The National Library of Medicine defines a calorie as the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere. In the context of food and nutrition, we almost always use kilocalories (kcal). As the name suggests, a kilocalorie represents 1,000 calories.
In the United States, the Departments of Health and Human Sciences (HHS) and Agriculture (USDA) work together to set dietary guidelines. Every five years, the two agencies release updated guidance. By law, those dietary guidelines must be displayed to consumers. Packaged foods must contain a label of “Nutritional Values”. Included on those labels are the individual ingredients. They also contain a recommended Daily Value (DV). Those guidelines are based on a 2,000 kcal diet and designed to meet the needs of the general population.
The breakdown of an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich would look like this:
Protein – 20 grams – 40% Daily Value
Carbohydrates – 65 grams – 24% Daily Value
Fats – 26 grams – 35% Daily Value
Note that the Daily Value guidelines are targeted at the general population. Many variables determine your specific calorie needs, as outlined below.
What Factors Dictate Your Daily Caloric Expenditure?
Daily caloric expenditure is the total number of calories that a person’s body uses as energy. This includes the energy needed for basic bodily functions. Involuntary activities like breathing and digesting food, expend energy. Physical activities like walking or designed exercise also contribute. Multiple factors determine a person’s daily caloric expenditure:
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): The calories your body needs to maintain basic physiological functions. Things like breathing, circulating blood, and regulating body temperature. BMR accounts for 60% to 70% of your total daily caloric expenditure.
- Physical Activity Level: Calories burned via exercise and daily physical activities (such as walking, housework, etc.). The duration and intensity of exercise determine how many calories you burn. The more active you are, the more calories used.
- Thermic Effect of Food (TEF): This is the energy required to digest, absorb, and metabolize the nutrients in the food you eat. It typically accounts for around 10% of total daily energy expenditure.
- Age: As people age, metabolism generally slows down, leading to a decrease in daily caloric expenditure.
- Gender: Men often have a higher proportion of muscle mass compared to women, which can lead to a higher BMR. As a result, men generally burn more calories at rest compared to women.
- Body Composition: Muscle tissue requires more energy to sustain than fat tissue. Individuals with a higher ratio of muscle mass typically have a higher BMR.
- Health Conditions: Certain health conditions and medications may affect metabolism and energy expenditure. Thyroid issues, for example, can significantly impact metabolic rate.
- Environmental Factors: The environment can also play a role. For instance, being in cold weather may increase caloric expenditure. Your body must work harder to maintain core temperature.
- Diet: What and how you eat can impact caloric expenditure. Certain foods require more energy to digest. Diets designed with special goals in mind (such as building muscle) are one example.
- Sleep and Stress: Inadequate sleep and high levels of stress can influence hormones. Those hormones influence hunger and metabolism, affecting daily caloric expenditure.
- Genetics: Some individuals have a faster metabolism due to their genetic makeup.
- Pregnancy and Lactation: Women who are pregnant or lactating have increased caloric needs. A fetus requires energy to grow and develop. The mother uses calories to produce milk.
Daily caloric expenditure is a complex science. Factors such as lifestyle, body composition, age, and even genetics, can all play a role. For a more personalized calculation, you can use an online calorie calculator. Our recommendation is MyFoodDiary. It contains nutritional information for over 220,000 foods and an activity tracker.
Calculating Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
Two scientists, J. Arthur Harris and Francis G. Benedict analyzed the concept of BMR. They determined that BMR follows these formulas:
- Men: BMR = 88.362 + (13.397 x weight in kg) + (4.799 x height in cm) – (5.677 x age in years)
- Women: BMR = 447.593 + (9.247 x weight in keg) + (3.098 x height in cm) – (4.330 x age in years)
For example, the Basal Metabolic Rate for a 30 year-old, 5’10” 160 lb. male would be ~1752 calories per day.
Conclusion – Calories in an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich
Understanding how food calories are calculated is an essential skill. That understanding can assist in weight management and enhance overall health and wellness. You will also have a better understanding of the nutritional values associated with your food.
To recap, there are approximately 570 calories in an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich. Caloric load is determined by the macronutrients – proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. For a comprehensive list of nutritional information, consider trying an Online Calorie Counter.